While teaching preschool children in Nieu Bethesda - a small village in the eastern cape of South Africa - the local teachers gave me the nickname of Thembeka. In the South African dialect, Xhosa, Thembeka (tem-bek-uh) means "trust on you." I hold the name and the meaning close, in my work as a doula and throughout my life...

Check out my website for upcoming Healthy Childbirth Classes through BellyWise.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

"Birth is a joyous affair here..."

An interesting article in the New York Times about nurse-midwives at a Native American hospital in Arizona. I especially like the quote: "Midwives are better at being there for labor than doctors are. Midwives are trained for it. It's what they want to do."

Lessons at Indian Hospital About Births

No comments:

Post a Comment